Guide to Travel Essentials: Overnight Flight
Packing is complicated, that’s why you’ll find an excess of blog posts, pinterest boards, and tips surrounding this topic when doing a simple Google search.
We’re about to make packing so much simpler for the busy, yet stylish woman. Imagine heading off for any trip with only your in-flight carry-on, and arriving at your hotel to a full closet of curated and fashionable pieces that we'll lend you for your trip!
But it’s still necessary to put some thought into the most important items for your carry-on, especially for a long or overnight flight. This is where our stylish expert, Mary Gui of the Layers of Chic blog, comes into play. She’s made a list of the best skin, beauty, entertainment, and travel-related items you should include in your carry-on bag. First, we'd like you to get to know her a little better.
Introducing Mary Gui of Layers of Chic:
1. Where are you based? New York
2. How would you describe your style? I would describe my personal style as eclectically feminine, with a mix of vintage and modern pieces. I’m inspired by classic feminine silhouettes, but I like to experiment with layering and different shapes and prints. I imagine my style being what a modern-day Carrie Bradshaw would wear.
3. What's your absolute favorite place to travel and why? I really loved Japan when I visited - the food, the culture, and the shopping. It felt like a more refined version of NYC.
4. Do you have a favorite city to shop in? Definitely New York! You can't beat the amount of options available in the city, from independent designers to name brands to vintage shops and flea markets. I love the variety and discovering new shops as there are always cool stores popping up in the city.
5. Any travel secrets or tips? My biggest tip is to get travel sized versions of all your skincare and hair products! I used to just use whatever the hotel provided and it really impacts your skin and hair negatively, especially when you're traveling. Sticking to your regular routine is so important, I always want to be my best self when I travel so that I can get great photos. I also think packing light is overrated, the worst thing that can happen is to wish you'd brought something that you didn't!
Written by Layers of Chic's - Mary Gui
As a classic over-packer, I’m the type of person who needs to take everything with me when I travel. So the idea of “travel essentials” has always been a struggle for me, because everything is essential! But when it comes to my carry-on for an overnight flight, I know that I have to limit myself to only the actual essentials that will get me through 16 hours on a plane. This time traveling from NYC to Hong Kong, I was able to fit all my essentials into one carry-one bag and one huge (oversized) suitcase to be checked. I won’t share with you guys what I packed in my checked suitcase as it is definitely overpacked, but for my carry-on essentials I thought I did a pretty decent job. To help myself get organized in terms of what to pack, I focused on 3 main categories: skincare & beauty, entertainment, and travel-related items.
WHAT TO PACK: SKIN CARE & BEAUTY ESSENTIALS
An overnight flight requires skin care and beauty items that you can easily fit into your carry-on bag. My biggest tip is to get travel-sized items of all your usual products. Take advantage of the Sephora rewards program to snag up your favorite products in smaller sizes, and keep all those samples you get as they come in handy! Below are my essentials:
To Keep Skin Hydrated (planes are the worst when it comes to drying out your skin):
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
Trilogy Rosehip Oil (travel size available as part of the Vacation Heroes Set)
- Bobbi Brown Lip Balm
- Korres Bergamot Pear Hand Cream
Essential Items Before (attempting to) Sleep:
Pre-Landing Freshening Up Routine:
WHAT TO PACK: ENTERTAINMENT ESSENTIALS
I take advantage of long flights to catch up on leisurely reading. I like to bring easy reads that don’t require too much brainpower, so I went with a novel The Japanese Lover and Aimee Song’s book Capture Your Style. For music, I like to bring my iPod nano as it fits all my music and takes up almost no space. I also brought my laptop so that I can blog and watch TV shows. How cute is it decorated with little stickers I received from the Amika team? They give my laptop so much more personality.
WHAT TO PACK: TRAVEL-RELATED ESSENTIALS
Last but not least, the most important items (and actually the first items I always pack) are the travel related items: passport, wallet, and my glasses. Before leaving for any trip, I always double-check that these items are packed in my carry-on. To fit all these travel essentials, I rely on my Dagne Dover 13 inch tote. It’s seriously the perfect bag for traveling and allows you to be super organized. There is a separate compartment for you laptop and iPad, a water bottle holder, a pen holder, and various pockets for you to keep your essentials intact. The 13 inch is also a great size as you can carry it on your shoulder to help with the weight, and the straps fold down so it can be tucked under your seat on the plane. I initially bought the 15 inch and it was definitely way too big, and I couldn’t carry it on my shoulder which was a big deal breaker for me.
Head to Mary’s blog post to shop her travel essentials or find her other beauty, fashion, or travel tips!
Introduction written by and feature compiled by: Susan Ripley
Lets Be Social!